PADI Instructor Courses in Tenerife – Canary Islands!
Are you fed up of your office job or the 8am-5pm?
Hate the long commute every day?
Would you like to spend more time in the sun?
Have you got what it takes to transform lives?
If you answer YES to these questions, we can show you how you can change your life around and try something new! As a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you trade your office cubicle for the blue ocean, enjoy the sunset as you stroll home from work each evening, and make a career out of transforming people’s lives for the better.
And you can transform your life into a PADI Instructor here in Tenerife, Canary Islands, with PADI 5 Star IDC Center – 12Dive. We have great diving, and sunny weather all year round. And most importantly our experienced PADI Course Directors who really cares about diving, safety and the profession, will make you ready, not only for instructor exam, but for teaching in real life. We do not treat our IDCs as a mean to pass the exam. We offer quality and professional courses, with no shortcuts.
How can you start learning now?
Contact us now on email@example.com
to request more info and to enroll in the PADI IDC
What is the IDC/IE?PADI IDC – Instructor Development Course
The PADI IDC is a 10 day course, and is made up of two distinct components – the Assistant Instructor (AI) course, and the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program.
Each component is broken down into 3 areas:
Is designed to help you to understand the PADI standards and to increase and refresh your diving knowledge, by classroom curriculum presentations, and discussions. You learn about Risk Management, the business of diving, PADI courses, materials needed to teach your future students and other important topics relevant to your role as an Instructor. You also need to pass the theory exam and the PADI standards exam.
Confined Water Training:
Is pool based, where you will learn how to demonstrate proper techniques, problem solving and giving students feedback. And learning how to make sure your students meet the performance requirements.
Open Water Training:
This part prepares you for what you will need to know for conducting courses in the open water and also problem solving common mistakes students make. This includes different workshops and practice drills.
Once you got the know-how.
You will then apply the PADI System of Education by presenting your own confined water teaching presentations, knowledge development presentations and open water teaching presentations.
Complete IDC Breakdown:
1) IDC Presentations either classroom-led or self-study
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- General Standards and Procedures
- Risk Management
- Marketing Diving
- Start Diving
- Teaching PADI Specialty Diver Courses
- Business of Diving
- Keep Diving
- How to Teach the Recreational Dive Planner (RDP)
- Course Orientation
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Teaching in Confined Water
- Conducting Open Water Dives
- General Standards and Procedures
- Open Water Diver Course
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Risk Management
- Skills Demonstrations Workshop
- 4 E Workshop
- Open Water Control and CESA Workshop
- Discover Scuba Diving Workshop
- Adventure Dive Workshop
- Rescue Exercise Workshop
5) Present 4 confined water teaching presentations
6) Present 3 integrated (two skills) open water teaching presentation
7) Perform all 24 dive skills in the Skill Evaluation, scoring a minimum of 82 total points, with no individual score below 3.
8) Score 75 percent on the PADI Systems, Standards and Procedures Exam
9) Score 75 percent on all sections of the Dive Theory Exam (Physics, Physiology, RDP Theory, Skills & Environment, and Equipment)
10) Perform a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres using a mask, snorkel and fins.
PADI IE – Instructor Examination!
At the end of your PADI IDC, you will be ready to attend the Instructor Exams (IE) – a two-day event conducted by a PADI Examiner who will assess the same components that you will have practiced during your IDC. All our IDCs have an IE scheduled to take place here on Tenerife, a day after the PADI IDC. As the IE will take place in familiar surroundings this will help you to feel at ease during the exams.
To pass an Instructor Exam and become qualified as a PADI Open Water Instructor each candidate must successfully complete each component of the IE which includes:
- 5-part theory exam
- PADI systems standards and procedures exam
- 1 knowledge development prescriptive teaching presentation
- 1 confined water teaching presentation
- Demonstration quality 5-skill circuit
- 1 open water teaching presentation with 2 skills
- Demonstration quality rescue of an unresponsive diver at the surface using pocket mask or mouth to mouth
After becoming an Open Water Scuba Instructor, you will be able to conduct the entire range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving up to Divemaster. After that you may also choose to acquire Specialty Instructor ratings in the popular Specialties such as Digital Underwater Photographer or Enriched Air Diver, giving your more teaching and employment opportunities.
It is extremely important that you come prepared to the PADI IDC!
If you are unsure about theory or skills (role model demonstrations) we highly recommend you add the IDC Prep Days (2 days before the PADI IDC starts) to the package you choose. During these 2 days, we conduct through skills curcuits, go through Physics, Physiology, RDP theory, Skills & Enviroment and the Equipment chapter.
Also, once you signed up and paid your deposit. We will start sending you additional prep materials so you can start self-study at home prior to arriving.
In order, for you, to start the PADI IDC, you need to meet certain requirements:
- Dive Leader certification — PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization, including proof of rescue diving certification and documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- 18 years old
- Signed Medical Clearance attesting “FIT TO DIVE” – not older than 12 months.
- Certified diver for six months.
- EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months.
- Submit copies of qualifying certifications for entry level open water, advanced, rescue and leadership level.
- 90 logged dives – 100 required to go to the IE
If you do not meet all requirements, let us know and we can help you attain certifications, dives etc. You can always join us here earlier, before the IDC starts and get your dives up. We offer dives as special intern rates. Also, all IDC packages include dive(s) for free so you can get in the water!
12Dive PADI IDC Programs & Values
Basic inclusions in our 12Dive Tenerife Instructor Packages:
- PADI IDC Crewpack
- FREE Diving during IDC
- ALL PADI IDC Fees
- FREE PADI Emergency 02 Provider Instructor Course
- FREE AWARE Shark Conservation Instructor Course
- FREE Access to Practice Exams
- Super Experienced PADI Instructors
- EXTRA IDC Workshops
All our IDCs are conducted by our full-time PADI Course Director Rebecca Johansson & Ulf Mayer. Which means that they will run your IDC from start to finish, rather than be on hand for the last few days as is the case with many freelance Course Directors. The team’s dynamic teaching style keeps presentations enjoyable and helps to make your IDC an unforgettable experience.
Here at 12Dive, our view is that an IDC should not just aim to get you through the IE, but should give you enough real-life tips and expert coaching to fully equip you for life as an Instructor. Our IDCs are 10 days in total and scheduled to end a day in advance of the Instructor Exams (IE). This day can also be scheduled as a remedial day at no extra cost in case you need some extra time.
And it doesn’t end there!
For everyone who does their IDC with us at 12Dive, we offer you a FREE “Learn to Teach”-week internship where you can work with our experienced Instructors gaining real-world teaching experience. Have a look at our packages and take advantage of this unique offer in Canary Islands!
Fully equipped, air conditioned classroom with state of the art media, dive library and all latest PADI teaching materials, nice and quiet and with internet service. Available for you during the course and also to come early and study before the start of the course and after your presentations are finished. We also have fridge and microwave so you can keep drinks and food. We have complimentary water and coffee always around so you stay rehydrated and alert.
Confined Water Training
We have our own pool for all your confined water training. Which you can also use during the IDC, after class is finished, if you feel that your skills needs further finetuning.
Open Water Training
The open water training ground is only 10mins away! And we have two minivans to take you in all comfort to the dive sites for the open water training.
Why Choose 12Dive?
Experience & Qualifications
Rebecca and Ulf have gained a lot of experience over the years, which that they want to share with the next generation of PADI Instructors. They are hard and fair, and you will learn how to stick to the standards. Since becoming PADI Course Directors, the team have not looked back and will always continue to evolve IDCs in order to develop great instructors. But you got to be ready to work hard. They also offer a full range of professional continued education programs: Specialty Instructor courses, MSDT internships as well as IDC Staff Instructor courses.
Consistency & Value
Our Course Director are full time here at 12Dive for all IDCs, meaning they will be in charge of your IDC from start to finish. We have ample time to work on each candidate’s own strengths and weaknesses, thus ensuring that those weaknesses are gone before the end of your IDC. Many other IDC facilities that employ freelance Course Directors just bring in the Course Director to teach the last few days of an IDC which can lead to inconsistencies in teaching. to dive professionals.
Our tranquil & professional center
Our center, away from the crowds, will ensure that all our candidates can find the necessary peace and quiet required to be able to focus and enjoy the course. All-night parties and streets of bars are not what you need during your IDC! We are a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre, we have been recognized by PADI as offering all PADI 5 Star Dive Centre standards, plus offer PADI instructor-level training. Five Star IDCs are committed to offering PADI Instructor Development Courses and continuing education opportunities.
If you will be looking for work as an Instructor after your IDC, you couldn’t be better placed. There are many up and coming dive locations in the Canary Islands and you are always just a quick flight from the world’s dive hot spots of Egypt, Azores, **more?**, . Plus, if you have time to stay on, after your IDC, and take advantage of our “Learn to Teach” Internship weeks. The experience that you will have gained, will put you in a better position when it comes to looking for work as well as the confidence when starting out.
Language Support and POST IDC Support!
IDCs at 12Dive are taught in English as a standard, however we also offer Spanish, German, Dutch, Swedish, Italian and French.
Plus our help doesn’t end once you pass your IE. We will give you help and advice on how to prepare an attention-grabbing CV and on what potential employers are really looking for in an instructor. Even if you are not in town anymore, we are only a call, text or email away.
– want to know more? -Email now firstname.lastname@example.org
Our PADI IDC packages
At 12Dive, we want to keep it as simple as possible for you. We understand there are many different options to choose from when considering a place to complete your IDC so we have 4 different pre-arranged Instructor Development packages to suit the needs of the individual. We also understand that not everyone fits nicely into a certain niche, therefore if what you are looking for does not fit into one of these packages, we are able to create a custom made IDC package for you. For more information on our packages contact us at email@example.com
PADI IDC Bronze Package
Includes the following:
- 10 Days IDC
- PADI IDC Crewpack & PADI Pro Bag
- All PADI Instructor Application fees, & PADI IE Enrolment Fees
- Additional in-water workshops on the trickier skills, including five point descent, controlled emergency swimming ascent, lift bag, hover (Rescue is covered thoroughly)
- 5 PADI Instructor Speciality Trainings (Aware Shark Conservation, Emergency O2 Provider, Coral Reef Conservation, Project AWARE, & Peak Performance Buoyancy)
- 1 dive for free before IDC – subject to boat space
- Free diving during the IDC – subject to boat space
- Free Wi-Fi
- Extra IDC Workshops “step by step how to teach and set up skills for teaching”
- Instructor Preparation videos and pfds
- 1 week FREE “Learn to Teach” Internship after your IDC.
- Free Employment Advice & Support
- 12Dive Goodie bag
- PADI Goodie bag
- 12Dive IDC t-shirt – with your name printed!
- Free tanks, weights and belt during IDC and “Learn to teach” Internships
- Free tea and coffee at the dive centre
- 10% discount in our local restaurant
- 10% discount in our dive equipment store
IDC Bronze Excludes:
- Accommodation (we offer special rates on shared or single rooms 5 mins from the center)
- Restaurant drinks and food (free water and coffee during training)
- Transport to, accommodation & food at IE venue, in unlikely event not held in Tenerife
- Equipment Rental (50EUR/week)
PADI IDC Silver Package
Everything included in the IDC Bronze package plus the following upgrades:
- Total Free 2 dives before IDC – subject to boat space
- EFR Instructor Courses
- EFR Instructor Materials
- EFR Instructor Application fee
- Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor Specialty Course
- PADI Instructor Application fees
- 3-weeks internship “Learn to teach” at 12Dive (no minimum certs. guaranteed)
- PADI Instructor Specialty Manual DVD (value over 250 Euros)
IDC Silver Excludes:
As per IDC Bronze package, plus
- Student level Enriched Air Nitrox certification (PADI will not process without student level Nitrox)
PADI IDC Gold Package
Everything included in the IDC Bronze & Silver packages plus the following upgrades:
- Total 3 free dives before IDC – subject to boat space
- MSDT Prep course including 2 ADDITIONAL Instructor Specialties (Total of 8 Instructor Specs! choose between Deep, Wreck, Search & Recovery, Navigation, Night, DUP or Drift)
- PADI Instructor Application fees
- 5-weeks internship “Learn to Teach” at 12Dive (no minimum certs. guaranteed)
- PADI Open Water Prescriptive Lesson Guides (value over 130 Euros)
- Equipment maintenance and repair seminar
IDC Gold Excludes:
As per IDC Bronze & Silver packages
PADI IDC Platinum Package
Everything included in the IDC Bronze, Silver & Gold packages plus the following upgrades:
- MSDT PREP+ with ADDITIONAL 2 Extra Instructor Specialties (Total of 10 Instructor Specs! choose between Deep, Wreck, Search & Recovery, Navigation, Night, DUP, Drift, Self Reliant*)
- PADI Instructor Application fees
- Total 5 free dives before IDC – subject to boat space
- Equipment rental (BCD, regulator, wetsuit, mask, fins & boots)
- 8-weeks internship “Learn to Teach” with the chance to earn your first 25 certifications
- Intro to PADI Tec-Rec
IDC Platinum Excludes:
As per IDC Bronze, Silver & Gold packages
*Self Reliant Student Certification not included
As mentioned if you are stuck between packages, let us know as we can tailor make packages to different requirements, needs and timeframe. We give extra inclusions or discounts for candidates with their own PADI materials as we include the IDC Crewpack in all our programs. Email us for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org
These are our scheduled PADI IDC, MSDT and IDC Staff Instructor, dates for 2017!
|IDC PADI Instructor Course||PADI IE||MSDT Prep||PADI IDC Staff Course|
|24th September – 3rd October||5th – 6th October||7th – 10th October||21st – 23rd September|
|20th – 29th November||1st – 2nd December||3rd – 6th December||17th November – 19th November|
If you can not make it in 2017, we will be releasing the 2018 dates in August/September. Email us and let us know and we will send you a message once PADI have released the new dates for 2018.
PADI IDC Team
PADI Course Directors Gold & Platinum – Rebecca Johansson (Swedish) & Ulf Mayer (German)
A thorough, well run, fun IDC!
I completed my IDC with Becca and couldn’t recommend it enough. A slightly longer than average course time allows you to absorb all the info you need, without feeling the added pressure of trying to fit it all in to a small time frame.
As to the actual IDC, Becca is a incredibly committed CD. She sets her standards high, which is no bad thing if you want to be a professional, committed instructor. You will come out of the course with a firm understanding of all the standards you need to know, and get lots of practice in giving presentations.
When it comes to the water work, you are gonna laugh and learn at the same time. There are very experienced additional instructors on hand to give you all the help you need, who are just as committed to making you an instructor as Becca is. They will give you lots of tips and hints as to how you can plan, execute, and make your teaching fun and enjoyable for your students.
A variety of packages are on offer, which include specialties, teaching experience and more. You will be on the next rung of the professional ladder before you know it, heading towards MSDT, staff instructor and beyond. Seriously, if you want to become an instructor, this is the place to do it!
Scott Lindsay PADI OWSI
PADI IDC July, 2015
Best IDC you could do!
I did my PADI instructor development course with Becca. Already being an SSI instructor, I had some idea of what was going to take place, but they do not cut ANY corners here at all! The team were all fantastic at helping do the prep work before the class even begun. It was amazing to get that kind of all around help from the staff. Everyone there wants you to succeed and they make you put in the work to get there, but you will get there.
The biggest tip of the hat, however, goes to the actual Course Director: Becca. Becca’s unyielding commitment to perfection and standards make sure that you come out ready for teaching, and you will get the standards pounded into your brain. Also, if you are willing to put in the work, you get a lot more time out of the classroom, and in the water, which is where instructors are really made.
I should also mention I got a dive instructor job about 4 days after I completed the final exam, and that alone should be reason enough to do it.
Max Ebel PADI MSDT
PADI IDC September, 2016
How to prepare for the IDC!
Important! – Medical Statement
You need to have a current, unqualified medical certificate completed by an independent doctor, confirming they find no conditions they consider incompatible with diving, in order to start the IDC and to attend the IE. It must be completed no more than 12 months prior to the final day of your IE or PADI will not allow you to participate in the water sessions.
We would be grateful if you would please e-mail us copies of both sides of all your non-PADI certifications as this is required by PADI to process your applications. Please also let us have your full name and date of birth so we can verify any PADI, SSI, SDI, TDI or NAUI qualifications online. For your Instructor Applications:
- Initial card, e.g. Open Water (must be at least six months’ old)
- Second, e.g. Advanced Adventurer
- Rescue, e.g. Stress & Rescue
- Primary Care (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation—CPR) & Secondary Care (First Aid) within 24 months, e.g. EFR; Leadership level, e.g. Divemaster
- 40 per cent. Enriched Air NitrOx (if taking the Nitrox Instructor Specialty Training)
Third party liability insurance is required by PADI before you can start to teach (teaching status). The latest you will need to sign up is before the IDC or at the start of the IE. There are many different plans avaialbe for various companies, and what you are looking for is the Third party Liability option. Ask us today for different options.
Dive Theory Exams
The IE has a Dive Theory Exams segment. The entire curriculum for this used to be covered on the Divemaster course. However, this has been slimmed down relatively recently and no longer suffices. The preferred resource for you to prepare with before your arrival is PADI’s Diving Knowledge Workbook. This contains a chapter for each topic, being Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Skills & the Environment and Decompression Theory & the PADI Recreational Dive Planner (RDP). Each chapter consists of questions with worked answers. PADI’s Encyclopaedia of Recreational Diving is excellent to dip into for further information and is shipped with the PADI Divemaster Crew-pak. You must possess an original RDP table and electronic multilevel eRDPml, together with both Instructions for Use booklets, which again contain worked examples.
If you have a learning disability and have a letter documenting this from your doctor (or psychologist), then you will be allowed 50 per cent. extra time to complete your written exams.
If you took the new curriculum or maybe it was a long time since you took the old Divemaster course, we will give you tips and suggestions to enable you to study and get your theory in shape before the IDC. Just let us know. And once you have made your booking we will send you self-study materials and more tips on how to prepare yourself.
Please bring some passport photos with you (no hat, dark glasses or SCUBA mask and not underwater).
You will need a laptop, among other things, to read digital versions of the PADI Instructor Manual and PADI’s Guide to Teaching, which are necessary for the PADI Systems, Standards and Procedures Examination, one of your IE segments.
Please send us a copy of a log book page documenting you have done at least 90 dives as this is also a prerequisite.
PADI requires you to have the following additional equipment: pocket mask; snorkel; whistle; compass; dive knife; Surface Marker Buoy; and timing device with seconds displayed as some skills are precisely 30 or 60 seconds (a dive computer is OK only if one can see seconds in dive mode or if dive mode can be disabled, otherwise a cheap waterproof watch is fine).
If you do not want to bring your equipment, you can rent this from us: BCD, regulators, wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins.
Practice and study as much as you can before you arrive in Tenerife, Canary Islands for your PADI IDC. If you are not sure on skills or theory add the IDC Prep to your program. This is a 2 day program, and can be extended to 1 week if you feel that you want the extra time.
IDC, EFR Instructor Course, PADI Fees, Crewpacks and IE -email us at email@example.com
two day Pre IDC Refresh-email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
MSDT “Master Scuba Diver Trainer Course” – After finishing your IE, you can do your 5 specialty´s and get your MSDT